Pesquisar neste blogue

terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2007

My first post in English

After a lot of requests, (well, only two actually), i decided to make one post in English, so my friends through Europe can read something about me.
Its starting to be like my cooking skills: everyone knows about it, but no one actually saw it.
Its been around seven months that I'm staying in the largest beergarden in Europe: the Czech Republic.
Adaptation was kind of hard somehow, my old projects sucks, and I've moved to Prague thanks to good will of people in Duha and in IYNF, who "found" a place for me in their project.
Again the adaptation, the search for a flat and for my place in the new society.
I think that is the biggest difference between a short activity (lets say two weeks maximum) and a long such as EVS: the social aspect.
In a short activity, you really don't care, you just want to have fun and to take wherever you can from that short period.
In a long one, after a while, your life starts to be quite the same, I mean, its never the same, but you start facing the same social "problems".
In the beginning your behaviour dosnt have the same reaction that you are used to, and that might be a problem. Only now I'm feeling like myself, if I can say such thing.
Life is stabilished, I have my flat, my friends, someone very special, and everything runs smooth, which has impact on work, I feel more creative and thinking more clear, its like I discovered the rules of the game, and I play by them.
Recently there was this EVS group coming to Duha, to develop some connection and promotion of the local groups.
I have to admit that, although I was on the organizational side sometimes, i didn't thought it was so tiring, I respect much more the work of a trainer or a facilitator, or even someone with less responsabilities, like me, as I am a volunteer.
It was crazy all that week answering 3000 questions at the same time, half of them without knowing the answer, which made me feel quite stupid, but as we were two Portuguese friends doing it, fun was guarantee, even if I felt like killing three or four of them, just to light things up a bit. If it was not for the special one support, for sure I would be in jail by now for mass murder of volunteers.
I'm discovering my role here, both in work and in leisure time.
T minus 5 months, and as some people left, it makes realize that 5 months is not that much, and sometimes I feel time just like sand in my hands, slowly going out.
The work and the fun, also brings something else: grumpy mood.
If I'm on the subway and someone is at the door but not leaving, some nice Portuguese vocabulary starts to be spread around, something like "fucking cocksuckers".
It sure helps to release some stress...
Leading a workcamp, was a very challenging experience, has I've never been in a workcamp, not even as a participant.
Half of the group was non english speaker, such as the organizer also... Which means a lot of mimic, pointing, body language (no, I'm not talking about sex, fucking perverts), and logical thinking. But I've managed somehow.
Soon I will go to a music festival, if it is half good as the Sothwest one in Portugal, i will mbe very glad, I miss such kind of activity.
My czech is improving quite ok, if we take in consideration that I've never had proper lessons, It was somekind of auto development through tryingf to speak it, even if I was saying a lot of crap.
I miss some of my friends in Portugal, and I like to think they miss me. At least when there is some dinner where someone has to cook...
But I cannot complaint, I've met some cool people here and there, I've been travelling around Europe, spending some nice time with the people from here, the evs world, and with some locals (not that much, the language is still a big barrier).
So thats it for now I guess, hope you two enjoy it...
Writing in English sucks, my next post will be in aramaic is much more funny.
Mej se hezky!

Sem comentários: